Ticarcillin is basically an antibiotic which belongs to the group of drugs known as penicillins. Ticarcillin is used for fighting bacteria which are present in the body. Clavulanate potassium actually is a type of clavulanic acid, similar to penicillin. Clavulanate potassium helps fight bacteria which offer resistance to the penicillins& other antibiotics.
The combination of these two drugs is used in the treatment of many infections which might be caused as a result of bacteria such as the bone & joint infections, urinary tract infections, severe vaginal infections, skin infections and stomach infections.
Composition of Ticarcillin- Clavulanate
Ticarcillin is actually derived from basic penicillin nucleus, six amino-penicillin acid, whereas clavulanic acid is derived from the process of fermentation of the streptomycesclavuligerus. Clavulanic acid is a β-lactam, related to the penicillin & possesses the capability to inactivate anextensive variety of β-lactamases through the blockage of the active sites of the enzymes. Clavulanic acid is chiefly active against the plasmid mediated β-lactamases which are frequently responsible for the transferred drug resistance to the penicillins&cephalosporins. The combination of Ticarcillin- Clavulanatewhich is known as timentin is a white to a pale yellow coloured powder which is soluble in water.
Uses of Timentin
Timentin (ticarcillin disodium &clavulanate potassium) which is a blend of penicillin antibiotics is used for the treatment of many different infections which might be caused as a bacteria, such as bone and joint infections,urinary tract infections, severe vaginal infections, skin infections and stomach infections.
Side Effects ofTimentin
In case of Timentin, the following are the severe side effects which one might experience after consumption of the medication:
- Difficulty in breathing
- Swelling of the face, tongue, lips or throat
- diarrhoeawhich is bloody or watery
- Blood in the urine
- Feeling an immediate need to urinate
- Difficult or painful urination
- easy bleeding or bruising
- unusual amount of weakness
- dry mouth
- increased thirst
- muscle pain or muscle weakness
- fast heart rate
- feeling of light headedness
- fever, chills or body aches
- flu symptoms
- sore throat
- severe blistering, peeling, along with red skin rashes
- chest pain
- seizure or convulsions
In case of Timentin, the following are the common side effects which one might experience after consumption of the medication:
- Mild diarrhea, stomach pain or gas
- Nausea or vomiting
- Joint or some muscle pain
- Skin rashes or itches
- Pain, swelling, or some burning sensation
- Vaginal yeast infection (Discharge or itching)
Contraindications of Timentin
Timentin should not be used by one if he/ she:
- Is allergic to clavulanate potassium orticarcillin or to some other penicillin antibiotic, like amoxicillin (Augmentin, Amoxil), ampicillin (Principen, Omnipen), dicloxacillin (Dynapen, Dycill), oxacillin (Bactocill), carbenicillin (Geocillin) and others
- Is allergic to cephalosporins like Ceclor, Ceftin, Keflex, Duricef and others
- Has some form of kidney disease, a blood clotting disorder or a bleeding disorder, low potassium levels in the blood, some history of allergies
Pregnancy and Timentin
This medication falls under category B, where the drug is consumed only if it is needed. The risks and benefits of the drug must be discussed with the doctor before consumption of this medication. Also the doctor needs to be informed if one wants to get pregnant as this drug does tend to suppress pregnancy. It is not known if the medication passes into milk or not. The doctor needs to be consulted before breastfeeding.