How is Doxycycline used?
Doxycycline should be used as directed by your doctor. Study carefully the label on the medicine before starting it.
Doxycycline is usually given as an injection at in clinic. In case of using Doxycycline at home, your health care provider will teach you the right way to use it. Carefully follow the procedures you are taught while you use a dose.
- Do not use Doxycycline if it is cloudy or discolored or contains particles.
- Use Doxycycline at the same time each day.
- To treat your infection completely, finish the whole prescribed course of Doxycycline for the full course.
- In case of missing a dose of Doxycycline, use it as soon as possible. If too much tame passed, skip it and follow your normal dosing schedule. Avoid taking double dose of the drug.
Safety information you need to know before starting the medicine:
- Long-term use of Doxycycline may cause recurrence of the infection. Let your doctor know if you notice signs of a second infection. You may need to change your medicine to treat this.
- Doxycycline may increase your skin sensitivity to sunlight which may result in sunburns. Avoid direct sunlight while taking Doxycycline.
- Hormonal birth control may fail to work well while you are using Doxycycline. Use another form of birth control (condoms) not to get pregnant.
Possible side effects caused by Doxycycline:
- Check with your doctor if you experience any of the following common effects: diarrhea; inflammation; loss of appetite; sickness; skin rash; vomiting.
- The severe side include: allergic reactions, blurred vision; increased pressure in the head and vaginal discharge.